It is always interesting to introduce a new member to an existing happy family. As much as excitement it brings there is also a slight adjustment which is expected from the people already in the house so that the new entrant is happy in the transition. This holds good for puppy dogs as well.
Introducing a new dog can be fun and exciting for us, but for the old dog at home it can mean stress and anxiety. Their routine gets changed they lose some attention; they are moved to a new location possibly – everything which they once enjoyed might look and feel a little different once there is a new company. Here are few tips to settle down the new dog with the old one at home:
- It is always a good idea to put your older dog at home the day when you plan to bring in the new puppy home.
- One of the family members will need to spend time holding the old one while another person holds the puppy on a leash. However, let them sniff and meet each other; there’s no need to hold them tightly to your side. You don’t want them to feel restricted. Stay calm throughout.
- If required hire a helper to settle down things at home along with the new and old pets.
- When you wave and hug see that the attention to both your puppies is neutral
- Every family member should act accordingly and cooperate to help calm down both the pets
- The more time spent with both of the dogs together the better they get to understand the transition.
- If both dogs are happy to see each other, wait until they calm down before you let the calmer dog slowly approach the other dog.
- You can drain some of this excitement by taking a walk with the dogs, where the handlers will walk side-by-side but far enough apart so the dogs can’t interact while on leash.
- It can take up to one month for an old dog and new dog to really settle in and accept each other’s position in the pack.
Be careful to remember vaccination schedule for both the pets. There are veterinary clinics that offer the service for dog vaccinations in north shore. While they take appointments from the pet owners, they also remind that whether there are one or more pets at home and if all of them need attention.
If you ever need to leave your dogs under some professional care while you attend to your urgent tasks, then there are professional centers that offer dog boarding in eastern suburbs. The pet boarding in eastern suburbs can also help your newer pets to settle down with your older pets in an effortless manner.