It’s devastating to find out that your pet has been diagnosed with cancer. They are more than just your pet—they’re your best friend, your family. VetMed in Sydney allows you to give your best friend their best chance with our pet oncology services. We provide integrative and comprehensive care for your pet that focuses and specialises on the treatment of cancer in pets.
Our Oncology Services
All of our veterinary team are fully trained, experienced and filled with knowledge on different types of pet cancer. While our main goal is to cure your pet’s disease, we also provide palliative treatment and end of life care. In general, we strive to minimise side effects and increase tumor reduction in order to achieve remission. Our collaborative team is here to diagnose, treat and generally give your pet the best quality of life possible.
Some of the treatment plans that we offer are:
- Surgical removal of tumors, alone or with other treatments
- Investigational therapies
Most Common Types Of Canine And Feline Cancers
The most common types of canine and feline cancers are:
- Melanoma: Very common in dogs, and the most common malignant tumor found in dogs’ mouths. An extremely aggressive cancer that spreads.
- Lymphoma: Common in cats and dogs. Normally present throughout the body, like lymph nodes, liver, spleen, bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract.
- Mammary Cancer: This is responsible for about ½ of the tumors in female dogs. Tumors are more likely to develop in dogs that haven’t been spayed before their first or second heat.
- Hemanglosarcoma: A highly malignant cancer that spreads rapidly by preying on blood vessels. It is known as a silent killer as it is often only detected in advanced stages.
- Fibrosarcoma: Most common in cats, this aggressive tumor develops from fibrous connective tissue and often develops at injection site of various necessary medications and preventatives (insulin, antibiotics, corticosteroids, vaccines, etc.)
Recent Help & Advice Articles
Toilet training is one of the most rigid problems that a pet owner faces. No one is a master at training their pets on, or about toileting. It requires patience and persistence. Well, no worries. Over the years, vets have found simple ways to maintain and develop...
The condition of the ca’s skin is a lot more than just the appearances; it has got a lot to do with the health. Building a sturdy foundation, including sound nutrition, proper grooming, and efficient flea prevention is extremely essential for good skin. Skin problems...
Hurricanes can be frightening to be caught into. While humans can deal with natural disasters through their intelligence, animals are generally left as dependents in such circumstances. Pets are the most vulnerable victims when a hurricane strikes. Evacuation is an...
Pet FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Navigate here to see some of the most common pet advice and FAQs answered.