It’s devastating to find out that your pet has been diagnosed with cancer. They are more than just your pet—they’re your best friend, your family. VetMed in Sydney allows you to give your best friend their best chance with our pet oncology services. We provide integrative and comprehensive care for your pet that focuses and specialises on the treatment of cancer in pets.
Our Oncology Services
All of our veterinary team are fully trained, experienced and filled with knowledge on different types of pet cancer. While our main goal is to cure your pet’s disease, we also provide palliative treatment and end of life care. In general, we strive to minimise side effects and increase tumor reduction in order to achieve remission. Our collaborative team is here to diagnose, treat and generally give your pet the best quality of life possible.
Some of the treatment plans that we offer are:
- Surgical removal of tumors, alone or with other treatments
- Investigational therapies
Most Common Types Of Canine And Feline Cancers
The most common types of canine and feline cancers are:
- Melanoma: Very common in dogs, and the most common malignant tumor found in dogs’ mouths. An extremely aggressive cancer that spreads.
- Lymphoma: Common in cats and dogs. Normally present throughout the body, like lymph nodes, liver, spleen, bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract.
- Mammary Cancer: This is responsible for about ½ of the tumors in female dogs. Tumors are more likely to develop in dogs that haven’t been spayed before their first or second heat.
- Hemanglosarcoma: A highly malignant cancer that spreads rapidly by preying on blood vessels. It is known as a silent killer as it is often only detected in advanced stages.
- Fibrosarcoma: Most common in cats, this aggressive tumor develops from fibrous connective tissue and often develops at injection site of various necessary medications and preventatives (insulin, antibiotics, corticosteroids, vaccines, etc.)
Recent Help & Advice Articles
Spring is a wonderful time of year, but if you are a cat or dog owner, this time is often associated with ever-increasing tufts of fur and fur-balls rolling through the house like spinifex in an old western movie! This fur loss can seem overwhelming; therefore, it is...
Whatever code has your heart, it’s almost time to don our team regalia, get a little loud in front of the telly, and back our team to take home the top spot on the footy ladder! Important moments like footy finals should be celebrated with the whole family, and we all...
The Key to Success. We know what happens in your head when your vet mentions the prospect of surgery – you’re instantly horrified by memories of rat dissection at high school, and guilt ridden at the thought of bringing home your once fluffy family member shaved bare,...
Pet FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Navigate here to see some of the most common pet advice and FAQs answered.