It’s devastating to find out that your pet has been diagnosed with cancer. They are more than just your pet—they’re your best friend, your family. VetMed in Sydney allows you to give your best friend their best chance with our pet oncology services. We provide integrative and comprehensive care for your pet that focuses and specialises on the treatment of cancer in pets.
Our Oncology Services
All of our veterinary team are fully trained, experienced and filled with knowledge on different types of pet cancer. While our main goal is to cure your pet’s disease, we also provide palliative treatment and end of life care. In general, we strive to minimise side effects and increase tumor reduction in order to achieve remission. Our collaborative team is here to diagnose, treat and generally give your pet the best quality of life possible.
Some of the treatment plans that we offer are:
- Surgical removal of tumors, alone or with other treatments
- Investigational therapies
Most Common Types Of Canine And Feline Cancers
The most common types of canine and feline cancers are:
- Melanoma: Very common in dogs, and the most common malignant tumor found in dogs’ mouths. An extremely aggressive cancer that spreads.
- Lymphoma: Common in cats and dogs. Normally present throughout the body, like lymph nodes, liver, spleen, bone marrow, gastrointestinal tract.
- Mammary Cancer: This is responsible for about ½ of the tumors in female dogs. Tumors are more likely to develop in dogs that haven’t been spayed before their first or second heat.
- Hemanglosarcoma: A highly malignant cancer that spreads rapidly by preying on blood vessels. It is known as a silent killer as it is often only detected in advanced stages.
- Fibrosarcoma: Most common in cats, this aggressive tumor develops from fibrous connective tissue and often develops at injection site of various necessary medications and preventatives (insulin, antibiotics, corticosteroids, vaccines, etc.)
Recent Help & Advice Articles
Prevention is better than cure. This proverb is very useful among all humans, animals and every single living being. How do we safeguard ourselves from getting infected? Vaccination is the answer. Like people, pets also need vaccines and pet vaccinations, similar to...
When we decide to provide a new home for a pet animal and have it living with our family, it is a huge step we take as the owner of the pet and its life. As much as fun it is to bring a puppy dog home it is equally important we understand the responsibilities as a pet...
During old days, the vaccinations were given to dogs every year, but the recent studies are proving the annual vaccination system to be wrong. The people are also mostly unaware of the required timely dog vaccinations in north shore that a dog need. Although there is...
Pet FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Navigate here to see some of the most common pet advice and FAQs answered.