At VetMed, we like to get to know you and your pets to provide customised healthcare solutions based on your pet’s individual needs. That’s why you should trust our team to provide preventative and health consultations for your pet. After all, we are most familiar with your pet’s history and issues, so we are best suited to help prevent and treat illness in the future.
What Is A Preventative Healthcare Consultation?
Preventative healthcare is incredibly important in keeping your cat or dog healthy and live a long happy life. We love to say that prevention is better than the cure, which is why preventative healthcare on a regular basis is vital in preventing disease or catching it in its early stages. These consultations will involve multiple disciplines, and our expert vets and nurses will be able to discuss a wide variety of health problems with you, in addition to coming up with tailored plans regarding your pet’s healthcare.
Humans aren’t the only ones who need to have annual examinations. We recommend a yearly check-up for your pet, and perhaps more frequent examinations if your pet is older or has medical problems.
Some of the things we will address during a preventative and health care consultation are:
- Pet Vaccines
- Parasite prevention
- Nutrition, including what your dog or cat eats, how often, supplements, treats, changes in appetite or water consumption
- Exercise, such as how much exercise your dog or cat receives, how often, what kind, any changes, etc.
- Stomach and intestines
- Ears and eyes—any discharge, itching, redness
- Breathing—coughing, shortness of breath, sneezing
- Behavioural problems like ‘accidents’, changes in temperament, barking
- Feet and legs—toenail problems, weakness, limping
- Coat and skin—any mats, shedding, hair loss, pigment changes, lumps, itchy spots, anal sac problems
- Urogenital—note discharges, heats, changes in mammary glands, urination changes or difficulties
- Neutering, if it hasn’t already been performed
- Blood tests—these are especially important for geriatric dogs or dogs with medical problems
Bring your cat or dog into VetMed at one of our three Sydney locations. We are available for preventative & health consultations in Randwick, Northbridge, Forest and Lindfield. Contact us today or make an appointment online.
Recent Help & Advice Articles
Speying a female cat is an excellent step to help your young lady grow into a loving, well adapted household citizen. However at Vetmed we understand that making the decision to desex or spey your female kitten can be a scary one so we have put together some...
Dental care is as important for your feline companion as it is for you, as healthy teeth and gums makes for a healthy cat! Tooth and gum problems occur in 8 out of 10 cats over the age of 3. By starting your cat on a good dental regime prior to this, you can help to...
A trip to the vet doesn’t have to be scary For cats and their owners a visit to the vets can be a stressful event but with a bit of prior planning it can be an uneventful and even pleasant experience. Often the hardest thing to do is to get puss into the carry cage....
Pet FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
Navigate here to see some of the most common pet advice and FAQs answered.